Match Reports‎ > ‎

Div 3 Round 7- FT Score: Rathvilly 5.7 St Patricks 4.10

posted 4 Jun 2015, 02:06 by PRO St Pats,Tullow,Carlow

The seventh round of the Div 3 league took place on Tuesday 12th May for St Patricks away to Rathvilly’s second team with ref Jimmy Lawlor nearly running out of space for all the scorers. This was a shoot out with both sides getting some fines scores but also being guilty of some lack lustre defending all over the field when possession was lost, it was a case of attack being the best form of defence with forwards from both sides sometimes finding themselves with 20 yards of space.

St Pats played against the wind in the opening half and had a green flag raised after only 1 minute when Owen Doyle broke through after Willie Doran won the throw and fed the forwards who linked well to send Doyle in the finish to the net. Josh Doyle’s long range effort sailed over on 3 minutes as Tullow had their tails up. Padraig Murphy hit two early points and the away side looked to be on their way to dominating after Jamie Ansboro and Darren Butler both hit the net to put pats 7 clear after 19 minutes. However, Rathvilly’s target man Stephen Murphy at full forward was winning plenty of ball and keeping Rathvilly in touch, including one fine point from long range. The village men found space of their own with good supply from Tony Bolger and Brian Leonard at midfield in the first half and Rathvilly hit goals late in the half to get back within a point at half time, including one from 40 yards where the Pat’s keeper lost sight of the ball under pressure from Bolger. Danny Keogh’s kick outs were working well for the village with many of their attacks coming from his placed balls. Willie Doran and Ben Hade also raised the white flag in the first half to give the Tullow lads a 3.6 to 3.5 lead at the break.

Rathvilly looked the hungrier at the start of the second half playing towards the dressing room end. Stephen Murphy hit two goals (one from a 14 yard free when the Pats full back line switched off) and the other soccer style on the turn to the roof of the net. The lively Aaron Smith also hit the net and Rathvilly were cruising on 59 minutes with an eight point lead. Willie Doran kicked into gear with 10 minutes to go and carried ball in waves at the Rathvilly defence. Pats tagged on a few points and young Hade hit a cool finish to the net on 57 minutes to put only a point between the sides. The game embed and flowed until Hade got on possession again 35 yards out, turned to his left foot and hit the equaliser for Pats. With only a minute remaining neither side could get a winner and the game ended a draw. Both teams dug themselves out at different stages of this game when it looked like victory was beyond them. Pats finish the league in first with Rathvilly coming fourth, this means they will battle it out again at the end of the month in the Div 3 semi final with Grange(who finished second) and Eire Og playing the other side. Both Rathvilly and Pats will need to tighten up the defence that day and you can be sure it will not be as open as tonight’s final round match. Best for Pats were Ben Hade and Willie Doran while Jamie Ansboro battled hard throughout winning plenty of ball. For Rathvilly, Stephen Murphy, Aaron Smith and Glen Byrne did well.

Pats Team: J. Tobin, G. Maxwell, S. Farrell, L. Kavanagh, J. Ansboro(1.0), S. Rohan, L. Byrne, W. Doran(0.1), P. Rooney, O. Doyle(1.2), P. Murphy(0.2), D. Butler(1.1), B. Hade(1.3), J. Doyle(0.1), L. O’Toole.

Subs used; S. Comerford.