Match Reports‎ > ‎

FL Div 3 Semi Final St Patricks 1-11 Railyard 0-8

posted 18 Jun 2014, 04:32 by PRO St Pats,Tullow,Carlow   [ updated 18 Jun 2014, 04:36 ]

This game was played on an extremely warm Tuesday evening in the centre of excellence in Fenagh. It took both sides a long time to get out of the starting blocks, in fact it took 5 minutes for the first score to register on the scoreboard.

Josh Doyle scored the first for St Pats with a two scores coming from Jacko Kennedy (1 free) in the first half. It was a pretty uneventful first half with Railyard leading 0-5 to 0-3 at half time. Railyard dominated the first half and would have led by more only for the hard work of Lee Kavanagh and Allan O'Neill in the Pats defence. St Pats looked lethargic and were not gelling cohesively. Pats were forced to change things around after Sean Condon had to leave the pitch due to injury, with Eoin Doyle coming back to the full back line.

The second half was a different story, Anthony ‘Muckle’ Keating rallied his troops at half time, he tore strips off the team and sent them out hungry for blood in the second half. Whatever Muckle said it transformed the team as Anthony Moran registered a well taken goal after only 25 seconds of the second half, finishing soccer style to the net after a long ball into the full forward line from Cathal Bailey. This was the turning point of the game and St Pats never looked back. Jacko Kennedy added another well taken point, with John Fitzgerald entering the field and using his experience to coolly slot over a point. Ryan Malone came in for Doyle at corner back and looked very sharp once again. Padraig Murphy was moved to centre forward, with John Kenny coming in at centre back and this gave Pats great momentum with Murphy getting more ball and a tidy point for himself. Jack Kennedy added another 2 points (1f). Bailey then scored a super long range point to get on the scoresheet. Jacko added another free. Stephen Byrne then entered the field for Brian Kenny, he made a super run and lay off to John Kenny who popped the ball to John Fitzgerald to score a superb point from an outrageous angle.  Railyard only managed 3 points in the second half with 1 being a free.

The scoreline flattered St Pats as Railyard were a lot better than the scoreline suggested. They were very physical and fit. If they had taken their scores, especially in the first half, this game could easily have went the other way. They registered 10 wides in total with St Pats being more accurate only kicking 4 wides. Best for St Pats was Allan O’Neill who had an outstanding game at full back, credit to too all the subs who came in and an impact, there will be fierce competition for places for the league final. The date & venue for the final has yet to be decided.


J. Tobin, S. Condon, A. O’Neill, L. Kavanagh, S. Rohan, P. Murphy (0-1), D. Butler, W. Canavan, W. Doran, E. Doyle, J. Doyle (0-1), J. Kennedy (0-6, 0-3f), C. Bailey (0-1), D. Nolan, B. Kenny.

Subs: A. Moran (1-0), R. Malone, John Fitzgerald (0-2), S. Byrne, J. Kenny, R. Malone.