Match Reports‎ > ‎

JHC Carlow Town 1-8 St Patricks 1-10

posted 18 Aug 2015, 02:11 by PRO St Pats,Tullow,Carlow

This third round of the league stage of the Junior Hurling Championship took place at Carlow Town Hurling Club on Friday 10th July with Sparks Murphy taking charge of the game with the whistle. Jim Sheppard and Billy McHutcheon got their charges together and were thrilled with the win. The Tullow side led by 1.5 to 0.6 at HT with John Metcalfe scoring 1.3 and Paul Rooney getting two. Carlow Town had plenty of chances in the first half and could have been closer at the break, that being said the Tullow side’s full forward line had plenty of ball in the opening 30 minutes that didn’t lead to any scores. The Tullow goal came from a free from 50 yards on 24 minutes which caught everyone out and sailed straight into the net to give Tullow a HT lead that they did not lose for the rest of the game.

Carlow Town scored 1.2 in the second half, the goal coming from a rebounded penalty that had been well saved by Shane Farrell in the Pats goal. The penalty came when Sean Gannon, who played well at midfield for the Carlow Town side, went down easily in the area with the Tullow lads appealing for the dive! Pats equalled their opponents second half score with 5 pts to give them their second win of the league stage in this championship. Paul Sheppard came to life a little in the second half scoring two points, Padraig Murphy and Kieran Cooper also raised the white flag. Metcalfe flicked over the last point of the game on 57 minutes to give St Patricks a two point lead and comfort up to the final whistle.

Best for St Pats were Kiwi Cooper and Paul Rooney in the half back line who both won plenty of possession, tackled well and got on the score sheet, team captain John Metcalfe was his usual reliable self in midfield ending as top scorer once again and showing his importance to this team. His mother Mary is also the team’s biggest fan and never misses a game, giving great encouragement to the lads. Shane Farrell, who was carrying an injury stood in goal and was very confident throughout and manned the goal area well with Richie O’Leary in front of him also doing well. Team manager Sheppard encouraged his team to improve for next week’s game and stressed to the lads the importance of pushing on from this win. The Tullow men will need to sharpen up in front of goal for the visit of Ballinkillen to Bro Leo Park next Friday but did show an improvement tonight from their last outing versus Burren Rangers. There are 6 teams in the Junior with the top four making the semi finals. Pats will need to get another win from their remaining two games to be sure of a place in the knock out stages.

Pats Team: Shane Farrell, Dave Brady, Richie O’Leary, Ryan O’Neill, Jamie Ansboro, Paul Rooney(0-2), Kieran Cooper(0-1), John Metcalfe(1-4), Padraig Murphy (0-1), Paul Sheppard(0-2), Ruan Caffery, Denis Kelly, John O’Brien, Joe Byrne, Robbie Rooney.

Pats subs used; Richie Cooper, John O’Loughlin.